This month our Baking partners Challenge was to prepare Eclairs using Pate a Choux . This time Swati had given us the challenge to choose between Chocolate Eclairs or French laundry Gougeres.
To know more about Baking Partner Challenge please check this here
Now a little info on Pate a Choux: This dough is made using flour, eggs,butter & water. This is an airy puff dough & can be used to make savory as well as sweet pastries.
I was bit worried initially how it will be hollow from inside. But this pastry is magical. & loved each bite of it.
I have halved recipe as always.
Now to the recipe.
Pate a choux for Eclairs
90 gm plain flour
1tbsp + 2 tsp
1/2 cup Water
60 gm Unsalted butter at room temperature
1 gm salt
2 large eggs
Orange Custard (Filling
3/4 cups milk
1 Orange zest
2 Egg Yolks
20 gm Sugar
1/2 tbsp flour
1/5 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup semisweet choco chips
2 tbsp cream
Butter cream for decorating (OPT)
Method for making Pate a choux for Eclairs
- Mix sugar & flour.
- In a pan mix together water,butter & salt and heat on a low flame until butter melts.
- Now turn the heat up & bring to a simmer. Remove from the flame & add in the sugar & flour mixture.
- Stir well till all combined.
- Again put the pan on a medium flame continuously stirring till the mixture pulls away from the side & bottom of pan is clean.
- Immediately transfer the dough to the bowl & mix with your beater on low for a minute to release the steam & heat.
- Now add the eggs at a time beating till the mixture absorbs the each egg completely.
- After adding the egg, beat for about 2 -3 minutes.
- Test: Dough is ready when its form a birds beak the the beater blade is lifted up. Meaning it should hold shape & turn down over itself.
- Now transfer the dough to a pastry bag & chill until completely cold.
Baking the Eclair:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Now with a star tip pipe the eclairs to 6 inch line.(Distance between each eclairs should be 5 cm)
- Spray the eclair with little water.
- Place it immediately in the hot oven & turn down oven temp to 175°C
- Bake for 40 min, rotating the pan after 20 mins
- Again lower the temp to 160°C & bake for more 20 min
- These puffs are ready when they turn light brown , hollow & light.
- Remove & keep aside to cool completely before filling.
Method for making Orange Custard
- Warm milk with orange zest over a low heat to infuse all the orange flavor in the milk
- Meanwhile mix together egg yolks,sugar,flour & cornstarch to a smooth paste.
- Temper the eggs mixture with warm milk stirring continuously.
- Now pour into the pan with the remaining hot milk
- Heat over a medium flame stirring continuously till the mixture reaches 75°C and is very thick
- Remove from heat ( Cover with cling film so that skin does not form)
- Chill completely before piping into eclairs.
Method for making Chocolate Glaze
- Microwave for 10 secs Choco + cream.
- Remove & mix properly till both are blended.
How to fill the Éclairs
1. Use a 0.4-0.6 cm plane tip
2. Poke 2 holes at each end of éclair
3. Fill a pastry bag with orange custard
4. Place the tip of the pastry bag into one of the holes and begin filling the éclair
5. Pipe cream as needed into the second hole or until the éclairs feels heavy.
6. Dip the eclair in Chocolate glaze & pipe with butter icing in zig zag lines.