Time flies too fast. Its been a year for our Baking Partner group
. Though I am six month old in this group, but I feel real close to this close knit family. I have made very good friends through this group & Swathi you are the best. Love your openness, helpful nature. Thanks for making me a part of this celebration.
And hope we go stronger with each month.
This month was very hectic as Ramadan was starting & I was shifting my office base to home.In between I just forgot to prepare for our Baking Partners Challenge. I thought of dunking it. But then realized how can I ?? I am the host this time. Well this time Swathi asked me & Saraswati
to give some challenge to our wonderful group of Bakers. I suggested Medovik / Russian Honey Cake & Saraswati suggested Lemon Glow Shiffon Cake.
So here's my Russian Honey cake for the celebration of Baking Partners first anniversary.
MEDOVNIK (in Check & Slovakian), translated as HONEYCAKE or HONEYBREAD, is more than a cookie cake. This cake has its origin in Russia. This cake is known for its simplicity in terms of decoration.
Recipe adapted from AZ Cookbook
Serves 12 persons makes 2 6"cake (with 4 layers)
For the Dough:
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp honey
80 gm unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp level baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
For the Dough
1. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs & soda.
2. Prepare the double boiler in such a manner that the bowl doesn't touch the water
3. In a heat proof bowl bring together sugar, butter & honey. Stir continuously till it is melted & blended about 5 -6 minutes
4. Pour the egg mixture into it stirring continuously
5. At this stage the mixture will whiten & increase in quantity.
6. Remove the bowl from the heat & add in the flour gradually mixing with a spoon after each addition. Dough will sticky at this stage.
7. Let it cool a little.
8. In the meantime prepare the baking sheet.
9. Now divide the dough into 8 equal parts
10. Roll each part. Place it on the baking sheet & now place a 6" plate on it. Trim the edges with a knife. Don't remove the edges from baking sheet
11. Bake in the middle rack @ 180 degrees for 4 - 5 minutes till light brown.
12. Loosed the baked cookie with a spatula. & keep on the wire to cool
13. Repeat with all the remaining layers.
14. Keep the trim edges. this will be used to decorate the cake.
For the Filling & Icing:
I have not followed any measurements for the filling but gone just by adding here & there the below ingredients. But for the reference, I am adding the measurement or check this link
200 gm Butter (I used 50 gms )
225 gm / 8 ounce cream cheese ( I used around 125 gm)
450 gm / 16 ounce whipping cream (I used 125 ml)
1 tin condense milk / 12ounces
- Mix all the ingredients to make the icing
- Take a layer of the cookie cake. Spread the icing on it.
- Top with other layer of cookie cake. Repeat for all the layers
- Lastly cover the cake with the filling
- Finely crush the trim of the cookie cake in the food processor.
- Cover the cake with the crushed trims
- Cover the cake with the cling film & refrigerate overnight.
- This cakes serves best after 24 hours as it will absorb all the cream & become soft.