Dates are super rich in Vitamin C and together with milk dates make an excellent diet for Ramadan. Dates are added to salads, couscous dishes and curries, but they are also added in baked desserts and confections. Dates are great on their own, but for an extra-special treat, try stuffing them with whole almonds or chopped pieces of walnuts or pecans. Dates are nuggets of nutrition that satisfy a sweet tooth, making them ideal snacks to stave off hunger.
Duration: 20 min
Serves: 15 stuffed dates
100 shelled unsalted pistachios
15 Medjool or Deglet Nour dates
2 tsp ghee
½ or 1 tbsp of unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp honey
2-3 tsp rose water
Pinch of Safforn
1. Carefully slit the dates and remove the stones.
2. In a food processor, blend pistachios to a coarse powder
3. Put ghee, pistachios, rose water, unsweetened shredded coconut, saffron in a saucepan and cook briefly, until the pistachios have absorbed most of the moisture.
4. Remove the mixture from a saucepan and place it on a bowl. Now add honey into it and mix well.
5. Stuff the dates with the pistachio mixture.
6. Top with toasted unsweetened shredded coconut and serve.
You could swap out the pistachios for almonds, and use orange flower water instead of rose water.
To know more about Dharshana visit her @ Cooking with Darshu.