Bombay Biryani as the name suggest has its origin in Mumbai. I have learnt this recipe from my sis's father in law who loves cooking. The recipe suggested by him is too long, meaning it takes nearly one & a half day preparation for this entire process. But life is busy nowadays so I have shortened it to suit my lifestyle while keeping the taste intact.
Serves 4 - 5
750 gms chicken
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp whole red chilly crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp whole coriander powder crushed
1 tsp heap garam masala
1 tsp green chilly paste or thecha
5 tbsp curd
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp lemon juice or 2 -3 pcs of dried plums
1/2 tsp shah zeera
4 tbsp coriander chopped
2 tbsp mint chopped
3 - 4 green chilly slit.
1 tbsp whole garam masala(shah zeera, pepper corn,cloves,black & green cardamom)
1 tbsp salt (adjust acc to taste)
3 big size tomatoes roughly chopped
2 medium size potato cubed into total 8 pcs
3 large onions finely slices Birasta
1/2 cup oil
750 gm partially ( till 3/4) boiled rice with whole garam masala, salt & 2 tbsp of ghee
few strands of saffron soaked in 4 tbsp milk
1/4 cup of milk
3 tbsp ghee
Preparing the chicken
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients no I & keep aside for one hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry the potatoes till golden brown. Remove & keep aside.
- In the same heated oil add the tomatoes.
- When tomatoes become soft add in the marinated chicken. Fry on high flame for few minutes.
- Crush the browned onion ( birasta) and add it to the chicken. Keep a little brown onion for garnish at the time of serving
- Add in fried potatoes.
- Now cover & cook till cooked & oil separates.
Assembling the Biryani
- In a heavy bottom deep pan, spread the rice.
- Layer with the cooked chicken
- Spread the rice again.
- Sprinkle the soaked saffron on the rice.
- Now sprinkle the milk on the entire rice equally.
- Spread the ghee evenly on all the rice.
- Cover the pan with the foil & then the lid.
- Keep on medium flame for 5 minutes
- Now lower the flame , & put on dum for 30 - 45 minutes
- Serve hot with Burhani