Due to my father suffering from diabetes , we had almost stopped preparing and eating sweets in our family. But at my in laws place, it was customary to have sweets after each meal. If there was no sweet at the dastarkhwan , my father in law including my bros in laws used to ask for sugar.
Preparation of different varieties of Halawa, mithai were our daily routine. I have learnt many muslim traditional recipes from my ma in law via telephony. Nawaabi Mithaas is one of them.
And who judges if it is correct in taste and texture.Mr.K, the biggest critic in our family we say.
500 gm Khoya/Mawa grated or crumbled
1/2 cup sugar ( keep 3 tbsp aside from it)
1/4 cup of almond powder
5 pod of green cardamom crushed
1/2 tsp of sweet spice powder (optional)
1 tbsp coconut shred
1/2 tsp ghee for greasing the tray
- Grease the tray with ghee for setting the mithai.
- In a heavy bottom pan on a low flame , heat khoya till soft & mushy.
- Add in almond powder, sugar , cardamom & sweet spice powder.
- Keep stirring continuously until it is brown in color.
- Last add the 3 tbsp sugar and stir.
- Pour on the greased tray & spread evenly.
- Sprinkle coconut shred on it.
- Cool and cut in to desired shapes & njoy.
Note: Can be stored for 3 days at room temperature.