We have adopted so many dishes from this region. By region , I do not mean UAE but the entire middle east.
Can be served as a starter with pita bread
or as a dip to different kebabs.
Mhammara a tangy and spicy bell pepper & walnut dip has it origin from Syria & come under Levantine cuisine.
To the recipe
1 Red bell pepper
1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses (Chk note below)
1/2 tsp of chilly flakes
4 tbsp of bread crumbs
1/3 cup of walnuts
2 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
- On the gas flame, roast the bell pepper till all the skin has chared & turned black.
- When completely black remove from flame & put it in a plastic bag. Seal the bag & keep aside for 10 minutes. This process will help to remove the outer skin of the bellpepper
- After removing the skin, cut and remove the seeds. Put the pcs in food processor.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (II) in a food processor & churn to form a paste.
- Serve with pita bread
- Mhammara tastes better the next day. But serve at room temperature.Can be stored upto a week in fridge.
Note* To prepare pomegranate molasses. Take out juice of 3 pomegranates and cook on a medium low flame till it reduces to 4 tbsp. Use as required.