Continuing the saffron trail, today sharing with you my all time favorite indian dessert RasMalai
All the hard work & patience pays off with its melt in mouth texture.
A few pointers to get the desired results.
Kneading chena with palms till smooth to achieve the tasteful results.
Add a splash of drama with saffron.
Rolling the little chena balls to perfection. No cracks
We are still half way. Yes here comes the timing & patience. Boiling the chena balls for perfect time & then completely cooling it off.
Squeezing the completely cooled off chena balls & soaking overnight in prepared milk.
And this is the result of all your patience.
Rasmalai : Makes around 20
For the Chena
1 ltr milk
1 tsp vinegar/ 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp semolina
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1/8 tsp saffron
Tip: Mix sugar & saffron together and grind to powder.
4 glasses of water
1/4 cup sugar
For the milk
1 ltr milk
2 cardamom crushed
3 to 4 strands of saffron
9 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sliced pistachio
- Prepare the chena: Heat milk in a deep pan. Remove from flame once boiled. Add in vinegar or lemon juice. Once it starts curdling (Whey is separated) strain on kitchen cloth. Keep some heavy thing on for about 10 minutes so all the excess water is strained.
- Knead the chena with palm of your hands till smooth. timing will be around 6 to 7 minutes
- Now add all the Ingredients II and knead for about 2 minutes more.Roll out into desired shape size balls
- In between kneading put water & sugar in pressure cooker & bring to boil in the pressure cooker
- In the boiling water, add the chena balls. Close the lid & give one whistle & then cook on low flame for 8 minutes. After that switch off the flame & let it completely cool ( took nearly 2 hrs to cool off ).
- Preparing the milk: Mix all the ingredients IV and cook the milk till reduce to 3/4. Cool completely.
- Now open the lid of the pressure cooker.Gently squeeze chena balls & drop in the prepared milk.
- Keep overnight in fridge for best results.
- Required equipment: Cheese cloth or any cotton cloth, pressure cooker, deep pan.
- Kneading the chena till smooth is very important.
- Cooking time is an important factor for the success of the recipe.
- When the recipe say completely cool , literally follow. Reason: Cooling it at its own will not deflate the chena balls.