My heart bleeds with agony as each day passes and I turn towards allah for giving me one more day with what I have . As if he is telling me life is a full circle. You have to go through this pain to become more stronger. This eve of Ramadan brought back the memories of how a little truth can change your complete life and you feel we are his creations and have to bend down to his decision. He has all the power to change your moment of happiness to sorrow. Reminding you how you lost your precious time in dwelling with little petty issues rather than giving it to your loved ones. The unspoken words asking you to come home, visit them. But never being said to disrupt your life. Your silence and smiles telling them what you are going through but the hidden words of encouragement telling you this is life.
Returning home, finding an empty chair. though words were not his friend but his eyes observed all. No hugs and smiles to greet you but the sudden realization of what you have lost forever. His eyes searching his better half if she was not seen for few moment. His mind on alert whenever she left for her treatment. Eyes waiting anxiously for her return. His relief when she return back.
Only the feeling of emptiness and memories of what you have lost forever! An adjoining thread broken never to be repaired. An acceptance of his not being there but still the lingering pain in your heart reminding you of the time lost.....
Khichda ( Serves 4 to 5 Person)
1 Glass Broken Wheat
1/3 cup Chana Dal
1/3 cup Whole Masoor Dal
1 tsp Salt
2 glasses of water
Extra 2 glasses of water for grinding
500 gm mutton or Chicken pcs
1 onion small sliced
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/2 glass of water
For Fried Masala
: follow the instruction as per the link
2 medium size onion slices
5 -6 garlic
2 " ginger
3 whole green chilly
few sprig of coriander leaves
10 pepper corns
1 Black cardamom
1 cup oil
1 small sized onion sliced
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp of Thanda Masala
1 & 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
Salt to taste
bunch of Coriander leaves
5 -6 green chillies
1 recipe of Birasta (Fried Onion)
Remaining oil of fried onion.
- Put 1 Glass Broken Wheat + 1/3 cup Chana Dal+1/3 cup Whole Masoor Dal+1 tsp Salt + 2 glasses of water in pressure cooker and cook for about 4 whistles. Ground to coarse paste in the grinder with around two glasses of water when cool.
- Prepping the mutton: Pressure cook mutton + oil + onion + salt till 3/4 cooked. Keep aside
- Prepare the tala hua masala or fried masala as per the link with the above mentioned ingredient II.
- Now to the actual preparation: Heat oil in the heavy bottom deep pan. Add the sliced onion. Once translucent . Add the fried masala. Fry for few secs till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder followed by boiled mutton along with water. Now add the thanda masala. Fry for few minutes
- Add the coarse wheat and dal mixture to the mutton.
- Add slit green chilly and chopped coriander leaves. Cook on medium heat till thick .
- Adjust the salt levels and serve garnished with oil, fried onions and lemon juice.
# Preparation of Wheat & Dal mixture and mutton can be done a day in advance.
# Goes same with fried masala and fried onion.
# Though the recipe is given in full detail, I will try to upload the entire pictorial procedure when
time permits. If any confusion in following any step feel free to ask.
# This is a heirloom recipe and has a unique taste for the type of masalas used Though the
procedure is a bit lengthy but once understood or prepared in steps or advance, can be easily
Hope you enjoy & devour this Khichda for it uniqueness. Remember me and my family in duas this ramadan . Have a blessed Ramadan.
Ramadan - An event to share will return next year. Thanks for your understanding and will return back to all who were interested in participating this year.