Its been long time again, I have been away from blogging. During eid holidays, we made a sudden plan to fly to India. There's always an excitement to celebrate eid in India with family. Here celebrations are quite mechanical. Get up early in morning, go for eid prayers. Greet friends on phone. Now people exchange greetings on whatsapp. Sometimes I hate technology. It's is shrinking the physical interaction. And that's it.
While in India, still there is an essence of festivities and togetherness.
Today sharing with you again another sweet. Well this blog has become more of cakes & desserts for some time. Will be sharing some chatpata salans and veggies too. But for time being, please tolerate with my version of jhatpat gajar halwa.
Gone are the days when a huge karahi was put on the flame.When carrots along with milk was put on simmer for long hours. In this fast paced life, with food processors and pressure cooker making carrot halwa has become somewhat easier. In this recipe I have used pressure cooker method. If you have time you can make it in karahi, but the time for preparing it will be longer.
Originally carrot halwa calls for mawa. But here, I have used milk powder with ghee. This is my handy substitute for mawa. I have used orange carrots for this halwa as red was not in season. But for the real taste , I would advise to go for red carrots when in season.
This halwa is full of calories. During winters ammi used to make sure , we had it in our breakfast. Sometimes we used to eat with roti. But I always liked it plain.
To the recipe.
Makes around 800 gm
Cooking time: 1 hour
5 tbsp pure ghee
2 green cardamom
1 kg carrot grated
1 liter milk
4 tbsp almond powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
15 tbsp sugar
few strings of saffron
For Instant mawa : Mix the below to form a crumble
1/2 cup milk powder
1 tbsp pure ghee
400 gm Mawa
Slice almond & pistachio
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. When heated add in cardamom & clove.
- Once it crackles add in grated carrot.
- Continuously stir carrot on medium flame till it changes its color for about a 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add in milk. Followed by cardamom powder. Stir
- Cover the lid & cook till 2 whistles. When all pressure is release open the lid.
- Add in almond powder, saffron & sugar and cook till all the remaining milk has dried up.
- Once the ghee starts appearing on the sides, add the crumbles instance mawa.
- Cook till ghee separates from the sides.
- Garnish with silver leaf and slice almond. Serve warm.
- Can be stored about a month in fridge in airtight container or freeze for about 3 months.