The long season of summers is coming to an end and what a better way to start it with our favorite fruits Figs
. We love fresh figs. Literally wait for the start of figs season. Today I am sharing with you the cake recipe using fresh figs infused with the flavors of saffron with a touch of cardamom. Sounds heavenly right.
It's a perfect cake to be enjoyed with friends with a cup of coffee. It's light, rich in flavor and full of sweetness of figs.
I have adapted this recipe from Nytimes
. Method used to prepare this cake is assembling dry & wet ingredients separately. And then mixing both.
Makes 6" cake
Serving: 4 -5 people
I : Dry Ingredients
1 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp saffron crushed
1 green cardamom seeds crushed
pinch of salt
II: Wet Ingredients
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
3 - 4 fresh figs (Each fig cut into 4)
2 tbsp sugar to sprinkle
- Grease 6" pan. Preheat the oven at 170°C
- Assemble the dry ingredients (I) in a separate bowl. Mix properly
- Assemble the wet ingredients (II) in a separate bowl. Stir till properly mixed.
- Now add the wet mix to the dry one.
- Mix to form a unified batter/
- Pour the batter over the greased pan.
- Now arrange the figs as shown below in the picture
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake @ 170 °C for 25 to 30 minutes or till done.
- Serve warm or cold with coffee or tea.
Notes: Can be stored in fridge for about a week