This cake is loaded with dates. And again sticky syrup made from dates is poured over to make it more yummy. Few days back a friend requested me to bake something for her daughter's national day school function.I told her in advance baking a cake is not a problem but decorating is not my forte.
She told me whatever I baked for her was completely fine for her & leaving me with no choice but present something good for the kiddos. As we are talking about the national day of UAE, I wanted to bake something using the core produce of this country. And what better to use than dates. I have combined the dates and arabic coffee, which takes this cake to another level in taste. So it was decided to make a dates sheet cake, later cutting into rectangular bars & then top it with small UAE national flags to get the feel of the national day.
I have been baking this cake since so long and
every now and then altering to our taste each time making it better in taste.
It's a simple cake to be eaten warm with poured date syrup along with the side
of an ice cream.
Makes 7" square tray
225 gm Dates ( Mejdool or any other)
1/4 cup strong black coffee hot
1/2 tsp soda bi carb
85 gm flour
1/4 tsp Baking powder
pinch of salt
115 gm unsalted butter
115 gm sugar powdered
2 large eggs
1/4 cup packed dates deseed & chopped
1 tbsp butter
3/4 cup water
Heat butter. Add in dates . Fry for a few minutes. Add in water. Cool & blend to form a runny paste. If the consistency of syrup is too runny. Cook a medium flame for few minutes.
Tools: Food processor OR Blender ( I use food processor)
- Preheat the oven. Grease the tin
- Soak dates with coffee for about 15 minutes. Add in baking soda.
- Mix & sieve all the ingredients II.
- In a food processor with chopper blade mix together butter & sugar.
- Add in the mix flour (II) alternating with eggs. Pulse till mixed properly.
- Now add soaked dates. Pulse for a minute till all the ingredients are mixed
- Pour the prepared batter in the greased tin.
- Bake @ 150° - 160° for about an 30 -40 minutes or unhpicks
- Now pour over the date syrup on the hot cake
- Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
Notes: This cake can be stored upto a week. Before serving slightly warm for 10 seconds in a
microwave. And pour over the date syrup.